A New Garden

 Towards the end of last year we moved house, leaving behind my little new build garden for a bigger one (although far from the garden of my dreams - isn't that always the way). The garden is pretty bland, a few evergreen shrubs, an ugly conifer, so much ivy, nettles, bindweed, and brambles! This is how it looked in July when we went for a second viewing, you can see how tall the nettles are already, the garden wasn't maintained at all after our offer was accepted, so by the time we moved in it was quite something.

The plot itself is North facing, this wasn't a worry for me as our last garden was North facing and was insanely sunny, it's a short (about 10m) wide garden which makes for an interesting design challenge.


I of course didn't take any before pictures, so after strimming the grass and going over it with the mower I ended up with this:


If you notice here the ivy is starting to die, our neighbour on the other side of the fence confessed that he had drilled a hole in part of the ivy that had come through his side of the fence and put some nasty stuff in it to kill it. Good job I wasn't planning on keeping the ivy!


I managed to get the grass looking semi-presentable by the end of October, buying a wire rake head for my combi-system helped a lot. I also attempted to strim the nettles, but when they're taller than you are that becomes a real extreme sport!!

I've recently decided to pick up blogging again, so I've got a little catching up to do to get up to present day on here, I hope you'll follow along as I put my stamp on my new garden.




Comments

Popular Posts